Saturday 27 August 2011

The Mighty Thor #5...Reworded

I've been picking up The Mighty Thor strictly because of Oliver Coipel's pencils. Somehow the dialogue gets worse each issue and I can hardly stand it anymore. At times Thor uses big words like "bloviating" and other times he calls people a "pain in the ass" (Fear Itself #5). It's maddening!

Here is my attempt at re-doing the dialogue, old school Marvel style (with dialogue added after the penciler has done his work based on the plot).  Assume the text fills in the existing word balloons, I won't add dialogue for the panels without dialogue. I'm going to do my best to emulate the dialogue of Thor from the JMS/Kieron period, but I'm by no means a professional so be kind!



PANEL 2

Silver Surfer: I did not seek this combat, Thor Odinson, but I will finish it if you continue to force my hand.



PANEL 1

Thor: While Asgard remains in peril I cannot yield.

PANEL 2

Silver Surfer: That energy...never have I felt its kind before. How did you become so afflicted?

PANEL 3

Thor: It matters not. It burns with the fire of Muspel, the brilliance of Elfheim, and the arctic bite of the Jotun cold, yet for the sake of all all the Nine Worlds it will not lay me low! FOR ASGARD!!

PANEL 4

Silver Surfer: I--

PANEL 5

Thor: It pains me to strike one I would call ally so, Surfer, but your master must be stopped, no matter the cost!



PANEL 2

Silver Surfer: Then the cost must be your very lifeblood, Odinson.

PANEL 3

Thor: That sound-

PANEL 4

Silver Surfer: I implore you once more Thor, lay down your arms.

PANEL 5

Thor: Never!

Silver Surfer: So be it!

Sif (off-panel): Boys!

PANEL 6

Sif: Look to the stars.



PANEL 1

Odin: Begone, scourge of worlds...

PANEL 2

Galactus: Little godling...

PANEL 3

Odin: Graggh! You have forced my hand devourer...

PANEL 5

Odin: ...thus let us battle on equal footing!



I could probably polish it up some yet, but I still think it's better than the dialogue we've been getting. Which is sad, really, for a character getting a big push in the theatres over the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment